This post covers lessons learned in making diaper covers at home. In cloth diapering, the outer cover is a waterproof barrier that prevents leakage. These can also be used over regular disposables to prevent leaks, or just because they're really cute.
After a few mishaps and lots of leaks, re-purposing PUL, and studying more cloth diapers, I think I've found a few types of cloth diaper systems that work for the little dude. This particular diaper cover is a homemade version of Motherease's diaper cover the Air Flow. It works really well with the diaper inserts I make at home (more on that later). These are not easy to come by here in Germany, so to me it's worth the effort of making more of them.
What I've learned so far:
FOE - fold over elastic goes on a LOT easier if you use a triple zig-zag stitch. This video was key.
|detailed photo of the inner wing of the diaper cover|
KAM snaps - these snaps make a better seal with the Eco-PUL I bought from Diaper Sewing Supplies when there are 3 layers, and it's been exposed to warmth (i.e. it's been through a 60* wash and tumble dry). That's it! That is what was missing last time. I didn't wash/dry the cover before trying out the snaps, and it was too thin. Now I'm kind of sad I chopped up the grey & yellow cover before washing/drying. It may have been salvageable. Oh well.
With my latest effort, I went with a retro color combination! Aesthetics aside, they work really well. No leaks or poo-splosions yet!
As for the diaper inserts (the absorbing inner part of these two-part systems), I've drafted a pattern for anyone who wanted to try it on their own! You can download it from the Google-Drive link here.
Come back this weekend to see the photo-tutorial on making your own diaper inserts!