Happy New Year!

Hope everyone is having a very happy new year!

2012 was a really productive year here at Adriprints Press!


In sewing and quilting, I made quite a few items, and met my goals for 2012
2 quilt tops (brown quilt is nearly fully quilted)
3 trousers (2 jeans, 1 clover)
1 fitted jacket
1 wool coat
2 dresses
5 tops (1 hoodie, 1 sleeveless, 1 pullover, 1 buttoned sleeveless, 1 buttoned short sleeved)
1 apron
1 dirndl bodice
1 plaid skirt

In knitting design, I had a good number of items published (self-published or otherwise)
Oslo Star Hat
Alhambra Hat
Stripey Legwarmers
Orange Blossom Camisole
Squishy Mittens
Squishy Chullo Hat
Amaranth Shawl
Amaranth Headband
... and I am waiting for a few more to be published hopefully early this year including: a children's line,
Squishy Vest, and a mystery plaid set.

In hobby knitting, I made quite a few items including a really lovely cabled sweater (Beatnik), an Easter bunny/egg, finally knit Sam's second sock, a few hats, and am working on 2 cardigans.

In crochet, I finished one of the cutest projects ever: the Yellow Submarine Booties, designed by my friend Nuria over at Red Sewing Box.


I published 1 font this year, Kicks, and hope to update and create some new ones this year.



And, my 2013 New Years Resolutions...
knitting- publish a few more patterns, learn brioche knitting
crochet - do a bit more of it
sewing- sew a pair of perfectly fitting jeans/trousers, drape 1 dress or outfit
quilting- finish quilting the 2 quilts from last year and make 1 quilt
design - learn more about WordPress to create an online shop

The Edie Coat, Vogue 7239 (1967)

As originally posted in The Sew Weekly for the 1960's Challenge..


The Facts
⁃ Fabric: 3m wool, 2m lining, interfacing
⁃ Pattern: Vogue 7239

⁃ Year: 1967
⁃ Notions: 3 buttons
⁃ Time to complete: several weeks in October
⁃ First worn: end of October
⁃ Wear again?  Since it's been cold, I haven't stopped wearing it!
⁃ Total price: ~30EUR =  7EUR/m for wool (21EUR), $2.50/m China Silk Poly for lining (5 EUR), interfacing, thread, etc...



Pattern Story - I won this pattern from a giveaway on the Seamless Blog, and will give it away once this is published on the Sew Weekly.  Look out for a blog post from me if you're interested in entering the giveaway.

I loved the pattern.  There is one funny bit around the neckline, and the finishing of the neck band, but other from that it was smooth sailing.  I had help from the Threads book on tailoring, and my Claire Schaeffer's fabric guide book.  I was set.  I didn't have to change a thing in the pattern except length of the sleeves and hem.  That was nice!


Here are some of the inner workings...
bound buttonholes

feather stitching, fuchsia lining

groovy pocket fabric

I had a lot of fun working on this coat and once it was finished, I realized this one was a true keeper.  I've been wearing it regularly ever since.  The coat reminds me of Edie Sedgwick for some reason.  Something about my haircut these days, perhaps?


Pupp-o decided to get in on these shots. Hey there, puppy-face!

Starlet Suit Jacket: Plaid Wool

Originally posted on the Sew Weekly,  April 5, 2012


The Facts
Fabric: 100% Wool, acetate lining, gabardine leftovers for piping
Pattern: Gertie’s Starlet Suit Jacket from Craftsy
Year: 2012, vintage-inspired
Notions: 4 vintage buttons, hair canvas, interfacing, piping cord
Time to Complete: 3 weeks
First worn: this past weekend
Wear again? Yes!  I lurf it.
Total Price: ~37EUR
Price Breakdown: 17 EUR wool (end of bolt), 7 EUR acetate from the Bombshell Dress, 8 EUR interfacing, scrap cotton used for pocket bags, 2 EUR piping cord, 3 EUR for small amount of hair canvas.

piping and welt pockets

blue acetate lining

One of my sewing resolutions for 2012 was to make a jacket with a lining.  I was really intimidated by the very thought of this last year.  But, I guess I must have gained some confidence somewhere in the in-between because I decided I could tackle matching plaids, DIY piping, an acetate lining, bound buttonholes, and a welt pocket.  Oh, and some hand tailoring too; the upper collar is interfaced out of hair-canvas with pad-stitching. The first step was overcoming the fear of cutting into this fabric.  It was the end remains of a bolt of beautiful wool plaid with a really soft hand.   At the fabric store, I grabbed the bolt and bought it, but I fretted over what to make with it…

Then came Gertie of Blog for Better Sewing fame.  She makes everything look attainable.  Her Starlet Suit Jacket pattern and course came out in February, and that was it.  Starstruck and sold.  I proceeded step by step through the course and completed the jacket in fairly good time for this challenge.  I’m still marveling at how her bound buttonholes came out so smooth!  There’s something so polished about them when they’re done right.  It was my first time making bound buttonholes, and I think I might have overworked the fabric because I can’t steam the wrinkles out. So, now I’m on the hunt for spray starch, and having never owned such a thing, I look at my sewing space in amazement… invisible ink pens, hair canvas, a real iron, and now spray starch!  But, I’m also wearing a dandy new wool jacket with pretty soft blue lining!


collar + my hammy